Dairy Queen is an American chain of soft-serve ice cream and fast-food restaurants owned by International Dairy Queen, Inc. (a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway), which also owns Orange Julius and formerly owned Karmelkorn and Golden Skillet Fried Chicken. The company is headquartered in Bloomington, Minnesota.
The first DQ restaurant was located in Joliet, Illinois. It was operated by Sherb Noble and opened on June 22, 1940. It offered a variety of frozen products, including soft-serve ice cream. Let us see the overview of the company before moving on to Dairy Queen Mission Statement.
Overview Of Dairy Queen
|Type Of Business||Restaurant|
|Founded||June 22, 1940; 81 years ago in Joliet, Illinois, US|
|Founders||John Fremont McCullough,
Alex McCullough, Sherb Noble
|Revenue||US$3.64 billion (US, 2017)|
|Number of locations||4,455 (US domestic, 2018)
The soft-serve formula was first proposed in 1938 by John Fremont “J.F.” “Grandpa” McCullough and his son Alex. They convinced their friend and loyal customer Sherb Noble to offer the product at his ice cream store in Kankakee, Illinois. On the first day of sales, Noble sold more than 1,600 servings of the new dessert within two hours. Noble and the McCulloughs then opened the first Dairy Queen store in Joliet, Illinois in 1940. It closed in the 1950s, but the building at 501 N Chicago Street is a city-designated landmark.
Since 1940, the chain has used a franchise system to expand its stores worldwide. From the first ten stores in 1941, the number grew to 100 by 1947, 1,446 in 1950, and 2,600 in 1955. The first store in Canada opened in 1953 in Melville, Saskatchewan, Canada. In the U.S., Texas is the state with the most Dairy Queen restaurants. According to the 2010 census, Minnesota is the state with the most Dairy Queen restaurants per capita.
In the 1990s, investors purchased Dairy Queen stores that were individually owned with the intent of increasing profitability through economies of scale. Vasari, LLC became the second-largest Dairy Queen operator in the country, operating 70 Dairy Queens in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. When stores were not profitable, the company closed them. On October 30, 2017, Vasari LLC filed for bankruptcy and announced it would close 29 DQ stores, including 10 in the Texas Panhandle.
International Dairy Queen, Inc. (IDQ) is the parent company of Dairy Queen. In the United States, it does business as American Dairy Queen Corp. At the end of fiscal 2014, Dairy Queen had 6,400 stores in more than 25 countries; approximately 4,500 of these (about 70%) were in the United States. The red Dairy Queen symbol was introduced in 1958.
The company was renamed International Dairy Queen, Inc. in 1962. (IDQ) in 1962. IDQ is the parent company of American Dairy Queen Corporation (which owns the intellectual property of DQ and is often referred to in the chain’s legal notices as “Am. D.Q. Corp.”), Dairy Queen Canada Inc. and other companies that franchise the Dairy Queen concept.
In 1987, IDQ purchased the Orange Julius chain. IDQ was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway in 1998.
What is Mission Statement?
In a summary approach, the mission statement emphasizes the outcomes that result from a range of services that the company provides to its customers. The emphasis is on the positive memories it creates being the most important thing and driving the company to do what it does.
What is Vision Statement?
to establish itself in the industry and provide its customers with services that they will remember positively, as stated in the company’s mission statement. Even though the company makes a clear statement, its activity reflects the various factors associated with its vision.
Dairy Queen Mission Statement
Dairy Queen Mission Statement is
“To Create Positive Memories For All Who Touch DQ”
- Outstanding Leadership: to motivate the best performance. Dairy Queen mission statement alludes to leadership in the quick-service business. This aspect is reflected in its progressive growth since its first store in 1940, as evidenced by the company’s history. Furthermore, this aspect of the mission statement is reflected in the impact the company has left throughout its existence thanks to its dynamic leadership.
- Professional Care: the importance of adding value to its industry. It recognizes the importance of specializing in services that strategically advance the company, and this is directly related to its vision of becoming a top brand.
- Customer Expectations: Dairy Queen mission statement focuses on providing the best service experience to everyone who comes into contact with the company. Creating long-lasting and positive memories requires actions that go above and beyond what the customer expects. Dairy Queen does this by offering the most competitive quick services that are uniquely tailored to its customers and reflect its strategic approaches.
- Improving Lives. The mission statement’s emphasis on creating the best memories does not just apply to the immediate service Dairy Queen provides. The company’s mission indicates that it does more by touching the lives of those in need as part of its growth strategy, which is represented by this component. The Community section reflects Dairy Queen’s strategies, which are consistent with Dairy Queen mission statement.
Also, Read Spotify Organization Structure and Functions
Dairy Queen Vision Statement
Dairy Queen Vision Statement is
“To Be The World’s Favorite Quick Service Restaurant”
- Global Reach: Dairy Queen Company’s main strategy is to create great memories. The company’s vision further states that this impact is not limited to local markets. The company aims to have a global presence as part of its futuristic growth strategy.
- Popular Fast-Food Restaurant: Dairy Queen’s vision envisions exceptional services that set the restaurant apart from others in the industry. Striving to be the best and the favorite of all customers is driven by its promotional program. A similar aspect is highlighted in the company’s determination and in the success stories of its quality journey.
- Social Responsibility: Dairy Queen recognizes that it offers much more than its primary services like a restaurant. It remains committed to its strategic commitment to social responsibility, which indirectly impacts the company’s reputation and results in the company fulfilling its mission by winning the hearts of the community.
Dairy Queen Crore Values
Based on its operations, influence, and reach, Dairy Queen’s core values include “Family and teamwork, respect and cultural connectedness.” This company’s values outline what holds it together and enhance its success. In fact, Dairy Queen reflects these values in everything it does.
- Teamwork: Dairy Queen is a global company with over 6,800 stores around the world. For this reason, the company places great emphasis on working as a team and as a united family to achieve its shared mission and vision. In fact, it employs a number of business strategies to foster family ties, including an increased social media presence.
- Respect: the company emphasizes the importance of recognizing the role of each stakeholder in driving the company’s mission and vision. The stability of the high reputation Dairy Queen has enjoyed for more than 75 years can be attributed to this guiding principle.
- Cultural Connection: Dairy Queen’s global reach underscores that the company is responsive to the diverse cultures that make up its fan base. The ability to interact with and reach out to different cultures is one of the characteristics that sets the company apart.